Thursday, January 29, 2015

QUESTIONING MYSELF...

This fourth week has made me questioned myself on certain issues teachers are all aware of.
The first one is about process writing and how important it is to help our students produce better texts. Brainstorming, drafting, revising and editing really help!
And I say questioned myself because despite the fact that I know it I do not do it. I usually try to integrate skills when preparing a lesson. And when I do writing in class, I usually time it. I do not want my students to think I am there spending my time “cracking knuckles”.

When I visited the websites suggested in the article I found that they are really interesting for me as a teacher who wants to improve her academic writing. I do not know how my students could react with them.




Another aspect to reflect on, has been lesson planning.
The plan we have used to plan an enhanced lesson class related to with what we have at my place of work has made me think about the PLAN B which is a criteria we have not included in the format we use.  I particularly plan my classes following my own style and I always think in a plan B whenever I use the multimedia for my power point presentations. There are many factors which can spoil your class plans such as black out, no computer in class, etc.



Trying to describe and narrow a class issue or problem from my class, even that we were asked not to think about solutions, has been difficult.
Speaking is a skill I have not seen-yet- in several websites I have visited. Anyway listening would be my second option since it is part of conversational skills.
I also want to highlight the fact of how many class issues we teachers from the course have in common and it is good to know that somewhere else, there is someone also struggling with an issue we can or cannot cope with.

   




3 comments:

  1. Your students are really lucky because your are highly organized and make use of every minute in class. As for the writing process you can make them write all the procedures at home and dedicate time for look at their progress and give them feedback.

    I also like the part of plan B. It makes you always prepared and thus make the students get maximum gain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I can see I am not the only one who will teach writing skills in another way from now on. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Belinda,

    Good to have plan B even though your work format doesn't include it. This for sure will save your time and avoid any distraction could waste your time during lessons.

    Regarding the class issue, for sure, we are sharing some common problems. Although we are not going to find potential solutions for all, we could still have the chance to see how our mates could deal with common issue (we might want to solve in future!).

    Best of Luck,
    Iman, Oman

    ReplyDelete